Sunday, October 26, 2008

Silicon Valley Half Marathon


Sunday October 26, 2008.

I decided to take part in the SV Half Marathon two weeks before the event after having regularly logged ~15 miles per week for the past several weeks. I didn't formally train for the event, but felt that the general fitness level I had ought to be sufficient to do this run - possibly better the timing from the 26k Bangalore Ultra I did in 2007.

During my regular runs, I was steadily doing better than 10 minute miles (more closer to 6 minute kilometers). I completed the longest preparatory run of 10.3 miles in 104 minutes - 10.09 minute per mile. I set a goal of 2:10 - 2:15 minutes to complete the race.I got off to an excellent start, completing 3 miles in 28 minutes, 6 in 55 minutes and 8 in 75 minutes. Could I do it in 2:05? During the next two miles, I maintained 10 minute miles but was slowing down a bit - the right knee was having a mild pain. I didn't want to injure myself; but I was doing my best timing yet and was getting motivated to somehow push for 2:10. A "gu" bar at the 6 mile marker and a sip of gatorade or something similar was all I had until 9 miles. The 11th and 12th miles were probably 11+ minute miles. The final mile and a chance to push for an overall average of 10 gave me the boost to push ahead - the guntime showed 2:10:59 as I crossed the finish line and I knew I had an excellent chance of having made the 2:10 race time.

Right as I entered home, Jaya told me that I had done 2:10:04 - I was thrilled. This timing, a personal best, was far superior to my performance in the Bangalore Ultra 26k and at the end of the race, I felt comfortably tired, if there is such a thing!

Here is a link to the official race timing.
Official Result


For those in RFL who read this blog, I will tell you - I certainly will miss running the 2008 Bangalore Ultra. Taking part in the 2007 ultra and incorporating running into my life was instrumental in my achievement today. While this run was very well organized, there is definitely a charm and closeness in the RFL group and events - and the Hessaragatta course is awesome. Good luck to those who are running in November.

Cheers
Suresh

1 comment:

manoj said...

Hey Suresh,
Congrats on your PB. Good split timings too...
Wonder if you met a fellow RFLer Sudarshan also running the half at Silicon Valley?